I have been seeing potato pancakes (Latkes) all over Instagram this week in conjunction with Hanukkah. My mom used to make us these when I was a kid and I rather enjoyed them. I felt inspired to make up my own fancy version this week. Plus adding avocado to anything makes it better! Do you know how healthy avocados are? Check out 13 health benefits of avocados here. I have been obsessed with wild smoked salmon lately and so I thought why not try it on these latkes?! They actually tuned out quite tasty. 😉 So be brave and give this crazy recipe a try!
- 4 red skin organic potatoes (washed)
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tbs flour (I used sorghum flour)
- 3 tbs olive oil
- ½ cup Wild smoked salmon
- ½ block herbed goat cheese chèvre
- 1 Avocado
- Grate or use your food processor to grate all the potatoes.
- Drain the water by squeezing the potatoes out over your sink.
- In a large bowl mix the potatoes, thyme, eggs, salt, pepper and four together.
- Heat a non stick pan over medium to hight heat and add some of the olive oil. (each batch you will need to add more oil)
- With your hands form the mixture into small pancakes and lay them into the pan, I usually have room to cook 3 at a time. After 3 minutes, flip them over and cook on the other side for 3 min.
- Continue cooking all of the mixture in batches.
- Serve the latkes with the salmon, cheese and avocado.
- Eat and enjoy!