I can’t believe it’s November already! Where did October go……….?? It’s a chilly cold day here in Vancouver today and that means it’s the perfect time to make chai tea. 😉 I’m so lucky to have had my mom make this tea from scratch when I was younger, so I know how good the real thing is. It’s one thing to buy a box of chai tea bags and make tea, it’s a whole other experience to make homemade chai with all the herbs and spices. If you ever go to Vij’s restaurant you should try their chai, it is the best I’ve ever had. This recipe is a close second. 😉 It takes a bit of time to make but it makes a big batch so you can store it in the fridge and reheat it whenever you want some. Perfect for a cozy night in.
- 2 inch nub of fresh ginger, cut into thin rounds
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 pinches black peppercorns (whole)
- 15 whole cloves
- 1 tsp cardamon powder or cardamon pods
- 5 cups water
- 6 bags of black tea (I used Twings orange pekoe)
- 1.5 cups almond milk
- raw honey to taste
- In a pot over the stove combine all of the ingredients (herbs and water) except the milk and tea bags. Heat till it's boiling, then turn down to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and ad the tea bags, let steep for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags and then stain the tea through a strainer to catch all the spices.
- Add the milk and stir.
- Serve in a mug and add as much honey as you see fit.
- Store extra in a glass jar in your fridge.