What a gorgeous weekend we are having here in Vancouver! Amazing, I was sunning today and had to wear sunscreen and it’s only April. 😉 Enough bragging about the weather…….let’s talk about this awesome dessert. I always loved my moms apple crisp growing up. When I opened my farmers box from Spud Urban Delivery this week, I found 3 beautiful rhubarb stalks. I knew right away I had to make a crisp. 🙂 As always I healthifed the traditional recipe. I don’t make a base crust, instead I just used the fruit. I also substituted coconut oil fro butter and I made it gluten free. Winning! I topped mine with some of my favourite daily free ice cream, coconut bliss vanilla. This dessert is nice and light and its healthy enough to eat for breakfast. 😉 Enjoy!
- 4 organic apples, chopped
- 3-4 large stocks of rhubarb
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs water
- 3 tbs coconut oil
- 2 tbs coconut flour
- ½ cup of (unsweetened) coconut flakes
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ oats
- Preaheat your oven to 350 degrees, grease a packing pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- In a pot, heat up the apples. rhubarb, vanilla, ½ cup of sugar and the water, cook over medium heat for 5 minutes to soften the fruit.
- Pour your fruit mixture into the baking dish.
- In a bowl mix together the flour, coconut flakes, oats, ¼ cup sugar, cinnamon and coconut oil. You will want to mix it with your hands and make little clumps like granola.
- Now every spread the oat topping over your fruit and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Let cool and serve with warm ice cream.