This is my first time cooking or eating sunchokes……I ordered some groceries from SPUD urban delivery this week and I got their farmers surprise box. It included beets, potatoes, fresh herbs, kale and these sunchokes. A sunchoke is also called a “Jerusalem artichoke” and they are part of the tuber family. They grow under the ground like potatoes but taste like a cross between a potato and an artichoke and have a slight nutty flavour. They are a great source of dietary fibre and contain minerals such as potassium, iron, and copper. I can’t say that this vegetable will make it into my diet as a weekly staple but it was fun trying a new food. If you haven’t tried these little tubers before, I think they are worth exploring. I saw some great recipes for sunchoke soup online……… 😉
- 1 lb. sunchokes (scrubbed)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Lay a piece of parchment paper on your baking sheet and then spread out your sunchokes.
- Drizzle with olive oil and garlic and season with herbs, salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.