Well as much as I love summer….I can’t pretend I don’t love fall! 🙂 I love when it cools down at night and you get to snuggle under your covers again. I love when its sunny but crisp and you get to layer your clothing but don’t need an umbrella everyday! Fall food and fashion are what I like best about this season. I love pumpkin everything! 🙂 This recipe for pumpkin muffins was a favourite of mine growing up. You can only eat so many sandwiches before you never want to see one again. My mom had at least 5 different muffin recipes and we loved waking up to her making a batch of fresh muffins for our lunches.
My son loves these muffins and I am sure you and your family will too…..unless you hate pumpkin. Which I hope is not the case….. 😉 Muffins are pretty easy to make and you can substitute some of the ingredients for what you have on hand. I like to keep them pretty healthy with all whole wheat flour but you could use half white flour, half whole wheat if your kids are not used to it. You could make these vegan by submitting the eggs for egg replacer or flax “eggs”. These muffins freeze well so you can have lunches prepped and ready to go, just take one out in the morning for and it will be defrosted by lunch time.
- 1¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 1¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp balking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ginger (ground)
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup water
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin tin.
- In a large bowl mix together dry ingredients. In another bowl mix together wet ingredients. Stir the 2 bowls together into one. Do not over mix, butter will be lumpy. Spoon the batter into the muffin tin, about ¾ full in each cup.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Test the muffins with a toothpick, the toothpick should come out clean.
- Let the muffins cool on a rack for a few minutes.
- Serve and enjoy or freeze to enjoy later!