Happy Saturday!! 🙂 I haven’t been posting much this week as I have been busy with the end of the summer activities and I have a wedding to go to tomorrow. I did however manage to make this delicious Mexican pie for me and my hubby tonight, its kind of our one year anniversary. 😉 He loved it! I used to make this recipe with shredded chicken and if you eat chicken by all means make it with chicken but since I don’t eat chicken any more I made it with a vegetarian faux meat called veggie ground round. It was delicious and filling and it tasted great in place of meat! This pie will feed 4 people and you could serve it with a side of spanish rice if you are extra hungry. 😉 This recipe could be used for your next meatless monday or for anyone who is cutting out meat. My man loves his meat but he didn’t miss it tonight with this flavourful dish.
On a side note: have you guys read the ingredient labels on a grocery store tortilla package lately?! Its horrifying the nasty stuff they are using to preserve the shelf life and make them taste better. I can’t buy those brands any more, I go to my local organic grocery store now and buy wraps that are more than double the price. But these organic whole wheat wraps only have the kind of ingredient you would find in your cupboard instead of a factory. I know it’s hard to spend more money on food these days but I just don’t want those nasty ingredients in me and my family’s bodies.
- 3 whole wheat flour tortillas
- ½ cup of organic cherry tomoates
- 1 block of goat cheese cheddar (or monterey jack cheese)
- 1 package of Yves veggie ground round
- 1 jar of Newman's Black bean and corn salsa
- First grate the cheese, then mix the salsa and veggie ground round together in a bowl.
- Layer the first tortilla on a baking sheet or a deep pie dish. First spread on the salsa and veggie ground round mix (1/3 of it) then layer a third of the tomatoes (halved) and then t1/3 of the cheese. Continue these steps again to build the second and third layers.
- Bake in the even for 15 min at 450 degrees.
- Seve with sliced avocado, enjoy!